La Tur Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 inch fresh nectarines cut into 1/2cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 8 ounces uncooked small shell macaroni (use gluten-free noodles if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 full wheels of La Tur cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fig jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C)
- Spread nectarines cubes on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 5 minutes, or just until they begin to caramelize around the edges. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water, until just al dente. Drain the pasta through a colander. Fill four 8-ounce ramekins or mini cocottes with pasta, leaving 1/2 inch of room at the top.
- Remove and discard the hardest parts of the cheese’s rind – the remainder of which is not only edible, but delicious – and chop the wheel into small chunks. Divide into four equal portions.
- Place an equal portion of pasta, cheese and nectarine into each ramekin, sprinkling each with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a few turns of the pepper grinder. Toss until well combined. Add 1/4 cup of cream to each ramekin.
- Place your ramekins onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until the cream has just thickened into a nice gratin. Slide ramekins into the broiler for a minute or two to brown the top.
- Top each ramekin with 1 tablespoon fig jam before serving. Serve immediately.