Hot Caramelized Onion Dip with Bacon & Gruyere
This irresistible crème fraîche caramelized onion dip is full of savory crisp bacon and topped with melted cheese. Serve with crusty bread or crackers for easy entertaining.
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- pinch of sugar
- pinch of flakey sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sherry optional
- dash of hot sauce optional
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Vermont Creamery Creme Fraiche
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- fresh thyme for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a small cast iron skillet, cook bacon until it’s crispy. Transfer it to the side to cool.
- In the same skillet, using the rendered bacon fat, cook your onions, sugar, and salt slowly over medium heat until the onions are nicely caramelized. This usually takes about 20 minutes depending on how thinly sliced the onions are.
- Remove from heat and splash in your sherry and hot sauce if you’re using them and give everything a good stir.
- Next, crumble your bacon into the skillet and add in your Gruyere, crème fraîche, and mayonnaise and some fresh ground black pepper and mix everything well.
- Bake the skillet of dip for 10 to 20 minutes until it’s golden and bubbly and you can’t wait a moment longer!
- Remove from oven and allow to cool and set for about 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh thyme, and serve with pita chips or nice crusty bread.
Image and recipe source: Vermont Creamery
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!