- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise and seeds scraped
- Assorted accompaniments for dipping (cookies berries, marshmallows, candied ginger, pastries)
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and 1/4 cup water. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar has dissolved. Cover; bring mixture to a boil. Keep covered, about 1 minute, to let the condensation wash down inside of pan to prevent crystals from forming (or wash down sides of pan with a wt pastry brush).
- Raise heat to medium-high. Without stirring, cook, swirling pan, until mixture turns a medium to dark amber. At arm’s length, carefully add cream (it will spatter). Add vanilla-bean seeds to pan, and whisk to combine.
- Let the caramel cool just a bit before serving, and keep it warm in a double boiler 10-30 minutes before serving.
- Transfer to a fondue pot, and set over a warming candle. Serve immediately with assorted accompaniments, as desired.