Butternut Squash, Spinach and Rosemary Penne with Pt. Reyes Original Blue Cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
- 3 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash 1/2″ – 3/4″
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups tightly packed baby spinach leaves about 4 ounces
- 1/4 cup vegetarian or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
- 1/3 cup crumbled Point Reyes Original Blue™ cheese
- 1 pound pasta – bowties or penne recommended
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss cubed butternut squash in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then spread evenly on a cookie sheet. Roast in oven for 20 minutes, until slightly caramelized. (Can be done ahead)
- Put large, heavy pot on medium heat and melt butter. Sauté onions in butter till tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the rosemary; coat with butter and sauté 5 minutes or till soft.
- Add wine and simmer about 1 minute (till wine evaporates).
- Stir in stock, cream, and Parmigiano cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, simmer on low heat.
- In separate pot cook pasta until al dente. Then drain.
- Put pasta into serving bowl. Gently fold in the hot sauce and squash. To finish add spinach, blue cheese and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon rosemary and serve.
Original recipe by: Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company; Image source: Culture
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!