Blue Cheese and Caramelized Shallot Dip
Here’s a delicious blue cheese dip that can also easily be turned into a salad dressing with a little thinning by adding a little cream or half and half. Our favorite blues to use are Roquefort or Fourme d’Ambert from France, Valdeon from Spain, and Gorgonzola from Italy. Makes 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1¼ cups thinly sliced shallots
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 4 ounces blue cheese room temperature
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Honey to taste (optional)
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add shallots. Cover and cook until shallots are deep golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Cool.
- Whisk mayonnaise and sour cream together. Add blue cheese. Using rubber spatula, mash mixture until smooth. Stir in caramelized shallots.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover dip and refrigerate until flavors blend, two hours to two days.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!