Asher Blue Cheese Flan with Blackberries and Caramelized Honey
- 2 cups Blackberries
- 1 Orange Zest
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 lb Local Honey or Acacia honey would also be delicious
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Water
- 3 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Asher Blue Cheese
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 8 Eggs
- Blackberry Preparation
- Rinse berries and pat dry.
- Mix with orange zest and sugar. Reserve
- Honey Caramelization
- Mix the honey, water, and lemon juice in a sauce pan.
- Heat to a simmer, stirring constantly. The honey will begin to caramelize after about 20 minutes.
- Once caramelized, spoon honey into individual 8-oz serving dishes.
- Flan Completion
- In a double boiler, heat cream to 180. Stir in blue cheese and continue cooking until dissolved.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Temper egg by adding a little of the heated cream mixture to the eggs.
- Add egg and cream mixture back to the cream and blue cheese.
- Remove from heat and portion into the individual serving dishes on top of the caramelized honey.
- Place dishes into a high-sided baking pan. Fill with water a quarter of the way up the side of dishes.
- Bake at 300 for 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Chill the flans. When set and ready to serve, slightly warm the bottom of the flan and run a knife around the edges.
- Invert onto serving plates and garnish with the blackberries.