Grilled Halloumi with Watermelon and Basil-Mint Oil
This was one of the best recipes we have made in a long time. The basil mint oil ties all the flavors together. We have been dreaming about this since we last made it! Optional: grill the watermelon slices, too, for an interesting contrast and serve over a bed of arugula.
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint plus thinly sliced mint for garnish
- 1 garlic clove coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 1 8-9- ounce package Halloumi cheese cut crosswise into 8 slices
- 6 small triangles thinly sliced watermelon rind removed
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high. Purée basil, 3 tablespoons mint, and garlic in a blender. With machine running, add 1/2 cup oil. Set a strainer over a small bowl; strain, pressing on solids. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush grill rack with oil. Drizzle 2 tablespoons basil-mint oil over tomatoes and cheese; season with salt and pepper. Grill tomatoes, turning occasionally, until charred and bursting, about 4 minutes. Grill cheese until nicely charred in spots and beginning to melt, about 45 seconds per side.
- Arrange melon on a platter. Top with cheese and tomatoes. Drizzle remaining herb oil over; garnish with sliced mint.
Original source: Bon Appetit Serves 4 PicturePhoto by Romulo Yanes
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!