Easy Tapas: Matiz Banderillas
The name banderillas refers to any type of Spanish tapa that includes little bites impaled on a stick. They are named after the darts used in bullfighting, and are perfect as snacks or appetizers. This simple recipe uses traditional Spanish pickled veggies, award-winning smoked olive oil, and anchovies. The recipe calls specifically for Boquerones, which are white anchovies in vinegar, oil, and salt. While we don’t have these in the store, try our jarred anchovies with red pepper flakes!
- 1 loaf crusty bread- baguettes work well
- 1 can Piquillo Peppers
- 1 jar Matiz Piparras Peppers
- 16 Boquerones white anchovies or Scalia Anchovy Fillets with Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 bottle Castillo de Canena Smoked Olive Oil
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley finely chopped
Slice bread into 16 half-inch thick round slices and set aside.
Slice each piquillo pepper in half.
Lay out all of the ingredients on a cutting board to assemble the skewers.
Skewer first a piparra, then a piquillo and an anchovy, folded in half.
Repeat with the rest of the skewers and place them on a plate.
Drizzle with the smoked olive oil and sprinkle with parsley.
Serve immediately with bread.